Printed circuit boards (PCBs) are found in various electronics, from LED lights to high-tech scanners. Due to varying conductivity, insulation, and longevity requirements, PCBs are manufactured using a wide array of materials. Unlike standard PCBs, which typically use an FR-4 fiberglass substrate, aluminum PCBs are made using a metal substrate primarily comprised of aluminum alloy.
So what are the advantages of using an aluminum core PCB? Here’s what you need to know about aluminum substrate PCBs and why you should use one in your next project.
What Is Aluminum PCB?
Aluminum PCB is just like a common PCB; the only difference is in the base material. The base material in the aluminum PCBs is aluminum, which has more excellent heat dissipation capability, durability, and dimension stability.
Normal PCBs cannot handle high temperatures, and due to high heat-dissipating components, they bend quickly. Therefore, it’s necessary to use aluminum PCB where high temperature or heat dissipation is expected.
HOW ARE ALUMINUM PCBS MADE?
Like other printed circuit boards, aluminum PCB boards comprise a circuit layer, a thermal insulation layer, and a base layer.
- Circuit Layer – The circuit layer in an aluminum PCB is made using copper foil. Typically, this layer is slightly thicker than a standard circuit board, allowing the board to carry a larger current.
- Dielectric Layer – A layer of thermally conductive material insulates the board from stress caused by heat. This layer is often made of ceramic polymer sandwiched between the circuit and base layers.
- Base Layer – An aluminum PCB has a base layer made from an aluminum alloy substrate, which has high thermal conductivity and is ideal for electronics that create high heat levels.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF ALUMINUM PCBS?
Generally, aluminum PCBs can be divided into three types.
- Universal Aluminum PCB: Uses an epoxy glass fiber for the dielectric layer.
- High Thermal-Conductive PCB: The dielectric layer is highly conductive epoxy resin.
- High-Frequency PCB: The dielectric layer is made from polyolefin or polyimide resin glass fiber.
WHAT ARE ALUMINUM PCBS USED FOR?
Due to their longevity, lightweight build, and cost-effective prices, aluminum PCBs are used in an assortment of products that require long-term efficacy. Typically, these products include lighting elements that require high heat levels to be conducted away from the component.
Aluminum PCBs are often found in:
Lighting Components: LED lights frequently use aluminum PCBs due to their high level of thermal conductivity.
Audio Equipment: Aluminum PCBs are used in a variety of amplifiers.
Computer Components: Floppy discs and power supply elements frequently use aluminum PCBs.
Power Supply and Switches: Elements like AC-DC adapters, radiators, and insulators incorporate aluminum PCBs to minimize generated heat.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ALUMINUM PCBS?
There are multiple reasons why manufacturers choose aluminum PCBs over standard PCBs. Aside from their high insulation and heat conductivity level, aluminum PCBs tend to be lightweight and environmentally friendly.
- Heat Dissipation – Circuit boards are often exposed to high heat levels, which may damage or destroy vital components. Since aluminum is highly conductive, the heat is redirected away from essential components maintaining their integrity and longevity.
- Light-Weight – Since aluminum is a lightweight material, it’s ideal for intricate circuitry but still needs to be durable.
- Budget-Friendly – Compared to other metals, aluminum is relatively inexpensive, making aluminum PCBs an affordable option.
- Long-Lasting – Unlike standard PCBs, aluminum PCBs are made using more durable materials. These boards aren’t as fragile or susceptible to wear and tear as PCBs of primarily synthetic materials.
- Environmentally Friendly – Since they are made using a more significant percentage of recyclable materials, aluminum PCBs are better for the environment. In addition, LED lights powered by aluminum PCBs are longer-lasting and more energy efficient than standard incandescent options.
Aluminum PCB Manufacturer in China
At JHYPCB, we are industry leaders in manufacturing high-quality printed circuit boards that align with your needs. Our process combines years of experience with innovative technology to create state-of-the-art components.
It would help if you didn’t have to compromise quality to fit your budget. We offer aerospace-quality circuit boards at standard prices, enabling companies nationwide to incorporate high-end technology into their products.
In a rush? JHYPCB is committed to providing same-day turnaround for prototyping and production in as few as seven days while maintaining our same high-quality standards.
Are you working on a unique project? JHYPCB offers a wide range of materials to fit all your circuit board needs. Use our tolerance guidelines to ensure you get the best results from your PCB.